The reason for this is that unlike in Windows the Mac has a feature where the documents you amend or alter have the changes automatically saved, even if you have not manually asked for the document to be saveds .

The Mac therefore warns you if you want to amend a version and offers the chance to work on a duplicate. If you actually are convinced you want to change the saved version of the document you can proceed through the dialogue to do this but the Mac encourages you to work on a duplicate.

This is to protect you from making changes you later regret. There is a way of using a feature called file versions to go back to a previous version of the file but it is probably easier to just work with a duplicate. Don't be confused by the duplicate message - this is the way the Mac uses the same feature described in Windows as Save As. Once you duplicate the file you can rename it to a file name of your choice.

David Griffith