It is an XML file format that is used by Daisy books and some other
applications. It is like pls on steroids, and what causes the text and speech
to be synchronised on Daisy books.

I don't know much more about it, but It might be hidden somehow in MPEG4 files
which can contain several tracks of encoded information.

But just look at the files from a NLS book and one or more of them will be SMIL
files.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

list.