In keeping with my cloud-withdrawal paradigm, I’m actually moving away from the
VPS space again, and back to a Mac Mini—a dedicated Mac Mini with all my data
on it, that runs Linux.  The power here doesn’t cut out a lot, but the Mini is
configured to restart on power restoration, and I feel that the downtime is
insufficient a reason by itself.  Having said this, I do agree that isolation
makes a lot of sense, and that you do need to be very careful when configuring
servers.  In particular, a VPS can run mail servers, and mail servers host
email, so by running a VPS you’re hosting your email in a potentially
trust-free zone (just like absolutely any free email provider at all, of
course).  IWFM to host at home, but YMMV.  I have an ISP that assigns me a
static IP, that also helps a lot, and I know my way around the registrar system
and Internet infrastructure generally, but I totally get the convenience of
having someone else run your VM for you.

And switch to a better registrar if you don’t like GoDaddy.  Joker is who I
use, but there are probably better choices for newbies.

list.