Simon,

I've messed with a number of 2011 and 2012 MBP's and in most cases, I've just
removed the optical drive and slid the spinning HD over into its slot, put the
new SSD in where the spinning used to be, then, using Terminal, made them into
a Fusion drive.  As with the addition of any SSD, the performance has improved
exponentially.  Personally, I so seldom need the optical drive, it just seemed
better to create the Fusion array instead.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada