Hi,

No, you don't need to tweak a setting. You simply need to tilt the phone
slightly until you hear the speaker turn on. That is when the keypad will
become available.
Unfortunately, the keypad is disabled when you are connected to a call on the
phone's ear piece. But if you use a blue-tooth or wired headset, the same
keypad will beome available. This is something the Apple folks overlooked in
the Iphone's evolution. This is also something which eliminates some anonymity
when keying in some confidential details.

I hope this helps.

Rajiv