Ah, WorldCom. How well I remember the days of dialup around the planet
with my local access number for uu.net!

I had to place an international call for tech support on my first trip
to Japan. I'd not previously encountered stutter tone as dialtone, and I
couldn't remember the Hayes command to ignore and just dial. After that,
I carried my Hayes commands around in a file, just in case.

Then there was that hotel in Birmingham, U.K. whith the funny terminator
plug--never did learn its RJ number, but I still have the cable for some
reason.

I didn't see the article you mention about mac addresses, but they're
certainly spoofable. I have a Netgear 24 port switch around here
somewhere that supports spoofing mac addresses. As far as I'm aware,
though, none of mine are spoofed.

We are now past the day of IPv4 exhaustion, though:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/07/us-exhausts-new-ipv4-addresses-waitlist-begins/

Janina