Chris, your limiter is probably your TCP receive window size depending on the
OS you’re running.  You should tweak your TCP stack to allow for larger TCP
windows (more segments).  As latency increases (data is further away) the
through put decreases if the window size stays constant.  Tuning the window
sizes higher may give you 3 to 10 times the throughput on more distant sites.
BY distant I mean higher RTT (round trip time) between you and the service.
The Mac Sierra stock install allows for the window to scale to 3 times the
normal 64K value.  You want this to be more like 8 times the value, can be set
under sysctl.  The reason Apple fills up your pipes is they connect you to the
closest resource CDN style and likely that is provided over direct peering to
one of their near by data centers.  You probably only have a few milliseconds
of RTT between you and the serving web farm.  If you connect to say something
served out of California only and you’re on the east coast that RTT may be 80
milliseconds which means an unadjusted window will max out at about 6 megabits
per second even though you have about 125 megabytes of throughput available.
Does that make sense?  Let me know if you need more detail.

> On Jun 11, 2017, at 10:23 PM, 'Chris Blouch' via MacVisionaries
> <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> I have Gb internet at work and the only thing I've found that will fill the
> pipe is Apple updates. I think it's peaked at 112MB/s     download getting an
> iOS update. Everything else seems to have bottlenecks elsewhere the cap the
> throughput.
>
> CB
>
> On 6/11/17 9:53 PM, Scott Granados wrote:
>> It’s hard to fill up a gigabit.  I use all sorts of parallel stuff
>> streaming, gaming, phones, and so forth so the extra headroom just helps
>> everything work smoothly.  I could probably get away with far less.
>>
>>> On Jun 11, 2017, at 5:21 AM, Simon Fogarty <si...@blinky-net.com
>>> <mailto:si...@blinky-net.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Scott,
>>>
>>> I’m meant to have gigabit internet for my home but it’s a joke here in nz,
>>> I’m lucky if I get half a gigabit for a download.
>>>

>>> As for wifi I’m currently using a fritzbox as my router modem,
>>> I’d love to have faster internet / wifi but hey lifes a bitch and we’re
>>> getting screwed by providers in nz.

>>> Cheers,
> [...]
>>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries
>>> <https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries>.

>>> Visionaries list.

>>> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor. You can reach mark at:
>>> macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com
>>> <mailto:macvisionaries+modera...@googlegroups.com> and your owner is Cara
>>> <mailto:caraqu...@caraquinn.com>

>>> <http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries@googlegroups.com/>
>>> ---
>>> email to macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
>>> <mailto:macvisionaries+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
>>> <mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>.
>>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries
>>> <https://groups.google.com/group/macvisionaries>.

>> Visionaries list.

>> Your Mac Visionaries list moderator is Mark Taylor. You can reach mark at:

list.