Hi Scott,

I think if I were trying to set up a bootable Linux distribution on a USB flash drive I would do this on a Linux machine. However, for your entertainment, you might want to read Ted Landau's old MacFixIt column (from April 2008) titled, "Create a Leopard Startup Flash Drive":

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20080422095414936

Note that I haven't tried this myself, and have no idea whether it's doable for Snow Leopard.

Cheers,

Esther