Ok, this is getting confusing,

I take it that there is an app called keychain

Because the mac os and IOS platform have a built in feature called the keychain.

Which stores passwords and certs etc
From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Alex Hall
Sent: Monday, 15 January 2018 2:09 PM
To: 'Chris Blouch' via MacVisionaries <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Keychain

I use Keychain, but I use it to store passwords I come up with. It offers, but
I don't let it generate passwords for me. A few things about Keychain:

* It's not for documents, notes, or anything else. It stores secure
information, like credit card details or passwords, for auto-fill in websites
and apps. To store notes, you'd use the Notes app, optionally
password-protecting them.

* Keychain is only available for Apple products. The moment you want to
auto-fill your password from Keychain on Windows or Android, you're out of
luck. This isn't a problem if you live in Apple World as my family does, but
it's worth keeping in mind and could be a show-stopper for plenty of users.

* It can be a little complex to set up, using a different code to enable on
macOS and doing some other funny things. It's not bad, but it's not a simple
checkbox either.

* Oddly, it will auto-fill at your request. That is, you can use it with no
additional security. On iOS, for instance, you can let it fill in a card or
password, no Touch ID necessary. Of course, your device has to be unlocked, but
it's still worth remembering that anyone can log in or fill in cards if they
have your unlocked device. They can't see passwords, and auto-filled cards that
need a security code still make you enter the code.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

--
Alex Hall

On Jan 14, 2018, at 20:01, Agent086b