I really must remember to use reply all when replying to an e-mail  list.  Oops.
Anyway, Here's my reply that I meant to sent to the whole list not just to Jim.

I completely forgot that you can save your settings to a file.  thanks for
reminding me and I've just done it.
For those of you asking how it's done. open up VoiceOver Utility and choose
export preferences from the file menu.
A standard save box will pop open so tell it where you want to save the file
and click save.
Importing is the same, but choose Import Settings instead.  The file should
have a .voprefs extension..

Btw yes I am running v 10.6.2.  I'll write apple an e-mail later today.

Dannie