Hi Robert,

I think that you can move bookmarks and/or folders with copy and paste, or even cut and paste. As far as I can tell, the top sites acts as though it's a folder location within the bookmarks bar, and I can copy and paste folders from my bookmarks bar into the regular bookmarks folders, or rename them once they have been pasted there. Just make sure that you actually move to the table of collections, etc. before you try to paste or create a new folder. The "undo" command (Command-z) should keep you from getting into any problems if you get unexpected results.

I don't actually use "top sites" in my bookmarks. Safari 4 introduced the use of CoverFlow view and keeping images of web pages (that get displayed in the "top sites" option and also in CoverFlow view). Since images take up storage space that I'm not likely to use, I disable as much of this as I can. There was a way to disable the Preview image options under the Safari 4 beta that can no longer be used under the regular Safari 4. Actually, I realize now that I can have "top sites" without having Preview Images, so I could turn this setting back on. I regularly use the "Reset Safari" option under the Safari menu with the option for "Remove all Preview images" checked -- just to get rid of these.

I think that the only reason "Top Sites" appears as the default location for saving bookmarks is that it's the first item in the list. Once you've saved a bookmark to another location, that location then appears as the default location for saving bookmarks in your dialog window.

HTH

Cheers,

Esther