Hello Jorge, Ricardo, and Others,

I haven't been following this thread in detail, but the usual reason for having your cursors tracking (or, at least, having your "Mouse cursor follows VoiceOver cursor" checked under the Navigation options for VoiceOver Utility) is because you need to click on entries. If you don't have your mouse cursor tracking your VoiceOver cursor, then in order to click with a mouse or trackpad (or by pressing the "5" key of the numeric keypad when NumPad Commander is enabled), you first have to route your mouse cursor to your VoiceOver cursor with VO- Command-F5 so that the click is generated in the correct place. (I think this is what Ricardo meant to say, since VO-Shift-F5 moves your VoiceOver cursor to your mouse cursor. It may be hard to distinguish which is the correct command to use if he has all cursors tracking.) Generally, people might have "Mouse cursor follows VoiceOver cursor" but might not have "VoiceOver cursor follows Mouse cursor" if they're using a desktop machine, unless they have some vision, since then moving the mouse inadvertently would also move the position of your VoiceOver cursor, and lose your position. On a laptop, I have had both cursors tracking, since there's no mouse to hit.

The trade-off between having your Mouse cursor following your VoiceOver cursor by default and routing to your Mouse cursor with a separate command (VO-Command-F5) is stability vs. reliability of "click' in transitional apps. In most "mature" apps that work well with VoiceOver, you should be able to leave mouse cursor tracking off, and you'll gain a little bit in stability of behavior when using lots of resources. (This was more significant under Tiger, or if you were using systems with limited memory resources, etc. and running intensive programs that took up lots of system resources -- lots of cache usage, etc.) However, in apps with transitional accessibility, sometimes routing your mouse cursor by hand does not work reliably, and you'll only get consistent results if you have your mouse cursor set to follow your VoiceOver cursor. For example, before iTunes was fully accessible, I always set my cursors tracking when using iTunes. For Automator under earlier Leopard releases I could only assign variables (with mouse clicks) if I had my mouse cursor following my VoiceOver cursor. But sometimes having cursor tracking turned on can lead to unstable behavior, like being jumped to the top of a web page when navigating links. So there's no universal answer about the best setting to use for everyone and everything. In most instances, for people using the commonly used suite of applications in modern systems, you can leave cursor tracking off, and route the cursor when needed for a click (with VO-Command-F5). Also, in most instances now, having cursor tracking turned on should work equally well.

The other problem people sometimes run into is finding that a "click" with VO-Shift-Space doesn't work -- they actually need to physically click a mouse or trackpad (button) or press the "5" key on a numeric keypad with NumPad Commander active in order to "Click" and change a setting. Again, this doesn't happen frequently, but in transitional accessibility situations, if VO-Shift-Space doesn't work to "click" on an entry, try using a physical click of the trackpad, mouse, or use the NumPad Commander key (which appears equivalent to a "hardware" click to the system).

HTH

Cheers,

Esther