Interesting. I wonder if it depends on what country you are in. I live in the US with a US MacBook and on a recent trip to Madrid it worked fone on both the hotel wifi and at the university I was doing some work at. No config changes, it just worked. Maybe both of these places, being semi-public, had adjusted their equipment already to handle international limitations.

CB

Dónal Fitzpatrick wrote:
Hi all,

I intended to post this months ago and forgot.  On a trip to the States back
in January I decided to take advantage of the excellent exchange rate and
buy a 13" MBP.  I saved a fortune I assure you.

However, on returning home I discovered something I wasn't previously aware
of.  The wireless card in the US models is actually configured differently
from those sold in Europe.  The reason is this.  FCC regulations in the
States means that wireless routers only broadcast on channels 1-11.  In
Europe, we can broadcast on channels 1-13.  So, wireless cards on Mac
machines purchased in the US are only set up to operate on channels 1-11.
All of my routers were configured to broadcast on channel 13, so my nice
shiny new machine purchased in the US didn't see any of my routers.

It was a very simple fix to adjust the channels downwards, and all is now
fine.  However if you go to, say a public WIFI area, or are using your
machine on a network where you can't control the channel on which the
wireless signal is broadcast, it might, just might, be a problem for you to
purchase your machine in the US.  As an aside, for anyone travelling to
Europe (or Japan) with a US machine, if you can't pick up a wireless signal
that others can, this could be a reason.

This may, and probably will, affect only a few people but I pass it on for
what it's worth.

Cheers

Dónal