So, does this mean that I am running web kit either by choosing  web kit from
the applications menu or by opening Safari?

I have downloaded and installed webkit, and I do see better performance, but I
am still a little confuse by the whole thing.  I'm a newby Mac user, in case
you didn't notice.  LOL!!!