Hi Shen,

I'd like to know if there are Mandarin voices to use with VoiceOver, too. There are Japanese voices that worked with VoiceOver under Leopard from DTalker, but I don't know if they've been updated yet for Snow Leopard. Here's the link to my post to Yuma on this subject from the archives:
http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries%40googlegroups.com/msg12502.html
(Japanese voice for the Mac)
There are some language learning programs that include voices for text to speech, such as the Key2009 software:
http://www.cjkware.com/index.html
I haven't tried these, so I don't know whether they're accessible, but the voices only do text to speech within the application program.

The iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad have Mandarin and Japanese voices with VoiceOver on their version of the operating system (OS 3.1.2 or OS 3.2). However, switching voices is inconvenient. The iPad (OS 3.2) has introduced a language rotor, which simplifies this. The iPad is currently the Mac platform that would best support Mandarin, although the iPhone operating system and applications are more limited in capabilities than Mac OS X on the regular Macs.

HTH

Cheers,

Esther

Shen wrote:

Hello,
Does anyone know where I can get Japanese and Mandarin voices to use
with VoiceOver.
Thanks.

--
Shen