Hi Carolyn,
selection you can use shift--end and shift-home for selecting I believe. to
select words you can use option-shift-right or left arrow. Note, option and the
left or right arrows will also move you word to word. You must be interacting
with a text area to do this though.
are you wanting to open links from mail? to do this, move with voice over to
the link and hit vo-space on it.
HTH