Scot.

When people talk about tethering, it usually means that they are going
to connect a phone to another device via usb or something.
Obviously this isn't possible between the iPhone and the iPad.

If there is an app that will take the 3g that the iPhone gets and then
uses the wireless to make an access point then it should work, but I
have no idea if such an app exists / is allowed in the app store. It's
probably more of a cydia thing to be honest.