As Twain once wrote, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated". While Fake Steve Jobs may be a good bit of parody, he's plugged into a popular meme of web developers these days. Flash is on it's way out but there is a huge installed base of sites using it and developers who know how to make Flash movies. Like the demise of IE6, it will take some time for all this to wind down and peter out. But how did we get here - here being ubiquitous flash on every desktop.

In the past Flash solved a number of tough points of pain for web developers. First there was a pile of cross-browser quirks and issues which made it difficult to make anything reasonably complex work across browsers and platforms. In recent years most of this has gone away with the adoption of web standards by both developers and browsers. What little differences there are are now hidden behind libraries like jQuery and Dojo. A second big driver to Flash was the lack of media support in the 'backplane' of the browser. You couldn't play a video or stream audio without help from a plugin. So if you're going to use a plugin, why not use one that lets you do fancy-cross browser GUIs as well as play media. Flash became "it" for media, but with html5 modern browsers no longer need this crutch for media. Another thing browsers lacked was all the fancy animations and such as cross-fade, wipes, twirls, filters etc. With modern JS libraries and the CSS3 stuff that limitation has also gone away as you can set ease-ins, ease-outs, timed animation sequences and all kinds of crazy stuff. The last big piece was just plain old vector graphics. If you wanted to draw a diagonal line or make a circle in HTML you were pretty much limited to placing a jillion empty spans to make dots in an arrangement that looked like a line or circle. Tedious to implement and slow to execute. Now there is canvas and svg which let you do full vector and bitmap based graphics.

So here we are, with all the pieces coming together in the latest browser. All the main drivers towards flash are now available in open standards-based solutions. These standards aren't beholden to any one vendor of developer tools, browsers or assistive technology APIs. That means anyone can jump in to make stuff with just a text editor. It also shifts the onus and motivation for accessible implementation of the content rendering from a third party plugin to the core of the browser. That's a good thing when it comes to Safari and OSX. No more finger pointing between Adobe and Apple as to why Flash was not accessible. The standards are open and Apple owns the code to their browser.

Now if they could just hammer out the closed captioning bits on the video tag - but you have to expect a few potholes.

CB

Nicolai Svendsen wrote:
Hi,

Whoa, that's like...allout. I'm not sure what to say. Did I expect this? No.

Well, if no one figured this one out, Flash support is apparently being removed from OS X. I thought I'd be the first to post this. I don't think anyone else has. Same reasons that were made public in Steve's letter on thoughts on Flash.

Regards,
Nic
Mobile Me: nic2...@me.com <mailto:nic2...@me.com>
Skype: Kvalme