Hi Edward:
There are actually two kinds of books out there.  One is an audio book, and the
other is an eBook you can buy for the iPad from the iTunes iBook store.  the
iBooks are read using the iPad's voice, and are accessible with VO, while the
audio books are actually audio books, read using human voices.  There are also
several eBook readers out there for the iPhone which are accessible, I will let
someone else jump in here, because I've never used these myself, and am not
sure how they work.
At this time, Alex is not one of the available voices on the iPhone and iPad
operating system, due to processer constraints, so if you're looking for the
Alex voice to read books with the iPhone or iPad you're out of luck there.
HTH, Olivia
"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower",  Steve Jobs