Hi Bryan,

Searching the Mail Archive is really much easier than doing the Google Groups search. -- I can search what has been posted in the macvisionaries list faster than I can search mail on my own computer and get better results with less effort for a simple query than when I use a Google serach. It supports Boolean arguments, wild cards, date, ranges, etc. I don't even have to use most of these to get a good result. Even better, it supports access key command searches that let you read up and down the list by time or by thread. These work for any browser, if you substitute the correct access key, For Safari (with VoiceOver on), the access key is the Control key. That also means that if I find a match I can read up or down the thread with Control-N (for next post) or Control-P (for previous post). This cuts through a lot of extraneous material. On high volume lists, I can also read the list directly through the mail archive site when I'm traveling or away from my computer. The default mode is threaded, but I can switch to time ordered by using Control-I and then read through with Control-B (back to previous post by time) or Control-F (forward to next post by time). To go back to threaded mode by contents I use Control-C. This is really very powerful, and I'd say that my most effective use of the macvisionaries archive dates from discovering that the list was archived at the Mail Archive and finding out about the search and wild card options. For example, I can find any of your posts by typing:
From:Bryan in front of my search terms.

HTH

Cheers,

Esther

Bryan Smart wrote:

Hi Esther.

I don't really see a problem with adding mail archive, except, why is it needed? Google Groups already show up on many search indexes, not the least of which is Google. Is there some other advantage?

I take your point about setting the list to not be public. I guess that it doesn't happen as much with traditional listservs because they aren't so easy to discover automatically with a computer program. With closed lists, join requests must be manually approved, and I hate adding too much admin work. Anyway, I'll do this for ptaccess. Thanks again.

Bryan