Hi allison,
While I have not used abbyy for the Mac, based on what I've heard people say,
no, it is nowhere near like K1000, which I have used for probably a decade.
Yes, you can hook up a usb scanner, and if you get one that FR recognized, such
as the hp 8300 pro or epson 200 or 300, I forget the full model designation,
you can apparently scan directly without the need for a second app to do the
scanning part and then transferring the file to abby for processing. But, as I
understand it, you cannot scan and read simultaneously; you can't scan multiple
pages into the same file. You can't scan and immediately read to check out
setting accuracy. You have to let abbyy save the page to a file and then read
it there. Lots more steps. Maybe ok for the occasional page. but totally not so
for serious scanning. If my understanding of the limitation of fr express is
incorrect, I hope somebody will correct me. I asked a guy I know who uses FR
with the hp8300 and who has used k1000 if fr express could do the things I
outlined above and he flatly said no. to be sure, there is a huge cost
difference. But having an excellent efficient scanning solution is one reason I
have no intention of giving up Windows for now. Using two applications where
one will do, having to  save to a file prior to reading and not being able have
multiple pages in the same file, have it open and reading while I'm scanning,
or even scanning one thing and reading another are all reasons why I can't see
dumping windows for scanning/ocr purposes.  If abbyy would come out with a full
version of fine reader, that might be a different story.

mary