The only way I have managed to get this to work is on the mobile version of the
website or to use the iPhone app.  Really puzzled why I can't find it on the
main site too.

I tend to use facebook chat via iChat or AIM (Adium did not work for me).  I
could not get facebook chat to work to good on the main site, but Kevin
demonstrated to me yesterday that it can be done (smart ass), so will give that
another go.

Chris