Hi. I agree.  I believe that just hearing the tone would do the trick.
Besides, if you waited for your Mac to say the word that was mis-pronounced,
you might be opening up a whole can of worms if you are working in a
multilingual context.  What I like about the voices I have is that when writing
in German, they alert me to mis-spelled words.  I am not sure if they would do
this if I weren't running Voice Over.