Hello everyone,
I am brand new to the list. I am looking at getting a new computer and
have been thinking for a while about getting a mac. I am starting an
M.Ed. at Vanderbilt University in Education of the Visually Impaired
this fall and my biggest concern is being able to do my schoolwork on
the mac. I have heard and read all kinds of info about what does and
doesn't work with voice over and much of the info conflicts. I was
wondering if someone could point me to some resources which might help
me decide if making the switch is right for me. Any information about
how big the learning curve will be for a guy used to Jaws and windows
vista would also be appreciated.

Things I must be able to do include word processing, reading pdf's,
accessing books from bookshare and RFB and D, research on the
internet, accessing course notes and presentations, accessing
educational sites such as Blackboard, working with braille files, and
OCR.

Things that are also pretty important to me are access to chat
programs like google talk or whatever the mac equivalent is and Skype.
That's all I can think of at the moment.

I know this is a long list of things but I'm not really sure where to
start. Any direction, specific info on one of these topics, or general
info about making the transition would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Greg Aikens