HI there,

For someone who has just finished a Master's degree, I can honestly say that a
Mac was well worth the money and investment. I just wrote my 31-page Master's
thesis in Pages and had few issues with creating a table of contents,
pagination and document markup.

iWork and OpenOffice.org are suitable programs for dealing with MS Word files
and other MS office documents.

My school used Blackboard quite extensively and I had few to no problems with
Blackboard. In fact, our school just upgraded to Blackboard 9 and I've noticed
very few differences or accessibility snags.

Learning Voiceover is relatively straight forward, as you are able to fire up a
tutorial once you load it for the first time. That will get you up and running
relatively quickly. Mac OS and Mac programs have built-in keyboard shortcuts
that make things very speedy.

Preview is excellent for reading PDF files and it will let you bookmark your
documents. I made it through an entire semester of heavy readings using Preview.

If your school has a library service that scans your books/articles for you,
use that as much as possible. It saves you valuable time. As others have said,
OCR stuff can be done on the Windows side with Boot Camp, but who wants to scan
10 articles and 2 doctoral dissertations for a mid-term paper? Luckily for me,
90% of my courses and reading material were completely paperless, meaning
computer access was much easier and straight forward.

Check the maccessibility.net and lioncourt.com websites for some articles and
tips. Apple's site is great and you also have the list here.

Good luck with your M.Ed.

Kevin