I can not say with certainty, but I thought that I read that it isn't possible.

I know that, with apps like Drop Box, you can certainly view and open your
files on the remote server for viewing on your iPhone/iPad, but you're really
just opening them inside the Drop Box app, using its own built-in viewers. Just
like other apps, Drop Box can access files over the Internet, and can even
download them in to its private sandbox on the iPhone/iPad, but it can't give
other applications on the device access to the files.

The flash memory on the iPhone isn't so much of a disk or hard drive, as it is
a kind of temporary cache memory. The way the iPhone works, all of the real
storage of data and heavy processing is supposed to happen on a server that is
reached via the Internet. The flash memory is mainly there so that the iPhone
can hold a local temporary copy of data that would be too slow or large to
constantly stream from the net connection, like program code, sounds and
graphics that make up an app's interface, etc.

Apple didn't plan to let anyone make native programs for the iPhone in the
beginning, so I guess they thought that this wouldn't matter. Later, when
people started to make apps, they held on to this model, because, by preventing
programs from accessing each other, they thought that they could prevent people
from gaining access to protected content.

Now, they want the iPad to be able to be used for desktop-like tasks, but, with
all of the app isolation, you must jump through hoops to share data that has
been created on the device itself.

Apple's design choices are usually centered around making computing tasks
simple by removing unnecessary choices in order to streamline a task. You lose
flexibility, but the result is that, for most people, the program does what
they want, with a minimum amount of fuss, and with little or no tech
understanding required. They've done such a great job with the App Store,
simplifying the processes of paying for, and installing software, down to the
point where a complete tecnophobe could do it. iTunes and the iPod simplify the
tasks of organizing and working with a music library. However, I find it very
funny that, due to their choices, something as fundamental to a computer as
word processing, requires all sorts of explanations regarding how to
import/export between native format, how to selectively sync content, and how
to put documents in to, and take them out of, iTunes on the Mac. Not that there
is anything that could help the situation right now, given how locked down the
iOS devices are. Anything that requires that you get data from your own
devices, rather than a server somewhere, is profoundly frustrating. Think of
the people making the Daisy players for iOS. Most players need only that you
copy a book from your computer to a memory card, and put that card in to the
player. With iOS devices, it is necessary to explain to people about how they
must get both devices on to the same Wi-Fi network, but not just any public
wi-fi network, but a private wi-fi network that allows intra-client
communication. Then, they need to download, install, and learn to use an FTP
client, connecting to the iOS device using a long code (an IP address), that
they must listen to on the device and type in to their computer. That isn't too
bad for tech types. For most people that buy an iOS device for its simplicity,
and have no problem accomplishing most tasks, talking about special wi-fi
networks, ftp clients, IP addresses, and other junk is enough to make them say
"why bother. I'll get a Victor Reader or Book Sense". In these cases, the iOS
device is losing out because it is too complicated.

While I know that the main motivation for the iOS devices working this way is
for security, the conspiracy theorist in me says that this inability to easily
use your own content is not such an accident. It makes everyone a lot more
money if you must pay to get what you want from the cloud, rather than using
what you already have. Of course, techy users can find ways to partially use
their content on the new devices, but non-techy users will often decide that it
is just too complicated, and that they'd rather be doing other things with
their time. Also, some of us wouldn't need to keep and maintain so many huge
personal collections, if we could get what we want from the cloud.

Bryan