Hi Sarah and Barry,

First, Barry's instructions about using the "cat" command in terminal to concatenate files are quite accurate, but they won't solve Sarah's problem about how to join .mov files and end up with a playable result, and this has to do with the structure of these files. Such a file joining program has to both put the data in the individual files together, and update the header information so that it reflects the new total length. Further, there can be potential incompatibilities between the different files being used -- an easy example would be if you were joining constant bit rate audio mp3 files, where one of the files was encoded at a different bit rate. If all the files are constant bit rate and encoded at the same rate, it's relatively easy to just concatenate the individual files (with a "cat" command), and then to update the file header information to reflect a new total time. However, once you include a file with different properties, simply sticking that file into the middle may no longer work, and you might have to re-encode the information. The structure is actually more complicated for movie files, since instead of a single header with tags, you have a "container" that holds both the audio and video parts of a movie, with separate atoms (like "tags") for the various metadata.

I believe QuickTime Pro (paid) will join movie files, and allow you to operate through the GUI interface. I've also heard that MPEG StreamClip will handle this kind of operation. Probably someone like Darcy Burnard could comment on this, since I don't know whether these work with the output formats that Sarah wants. I've only really explored this subject in the context of working with audiobook files.

Here's the page for MPEG StreamClip to check for more information:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG_StreamClip

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther