Sarah,

Hit control-c to shut down the cat util.

It doesn't mater if a file name has spaces.  you can saround it with  quotes,
escape the space with \, or use tab.  The tab completion applies at any time.

The cat command expects a file name, and if it doesn't have one in it's
parameter list it just sits there.  Any time that happens, use control-c.