Hi Paul,

The easiest solution for you would be to create a playlist for your audiobook files, and then play the audiobook from the playlist. iTunes adds information based on mp3 tag information in the files. If there are no tags, it tries to add information based on the name of the files, which it will use for track names. So if you add tracks to your library like 001.mp3 that have no tag information, they will be filed in the iTunes database under Unknown Artist and Unknown Album but with a track name of 001. This is obviously an issue if you want to import lots of audiobooks that all lack album and artist information and are all named 001.mp3 etc. So one way to fix this is to add this information when you import the files via the "Get Info" command (shortcut Command-I) using the "Info" tab to fill in the Artist (author) and Album (book title), which is the minimal information you need to supply. Again, just as with using the "Option" tab to change "Media Kind" from music to audiobook, you can select multiple files, and make these editing changes once for all the tracks you have selected.

The easy way to find items that you've just added to the iTunes library which do not have tags is to navigate to the "Recently Added" smart playlist in the sources table. (By the way, I haven't upgraded to iTunes 10 yet, so my instructions are based on using the last version of iTunes 9, and I assume this hasn't changed in its essentials.) In the sources table of iTunes, in addition to entries for the various libraries (Music, Books, Podcasts, etc.), iTunes Store entries (iTunes Store, Purchased playlist, etc.), shared libraries (if you have this feature turned on and are on a network with other machines that have separate iTunes libraries), and playlists, there will be a few "smart playlists" that iTunes creates.

The "recently added" smart playlist will contain all tracks that you've added to your iTunes Library in the past two weeks, that are not podcasts (from subscription). If you navigate to the "Recently Added" playlist in your sources table and highlight it (after the usual manner of interacting with the table, then pressing the first few letters of the playlist name (e.g. "r e c"), or by using your up and down arrow keys to navigate (or, alternatively, you could use item chooser menu with VO-I to located the playlist), then navigate to the songs table (now renamed under iTunes 10, I'm told) and interact, you'll be able to find all your recent imports, probably listed in the order they were added.

For any track in the songs table you can check its location with Command-R, which is a shortcut for "Show in Finder". This brings up a Finder window with the selected track highlighted. You can check that the track conforms to your file organization system under Finder, then Command-Tab to switch applications back to iTunes. Select all the tracks you want to tag. These are likely to be ordered contiguously, so all you need to do is start with the first track in the list, press the shift key, and arrow down to the end of the entries to select them all. Then bring up the Get Info window with Command-I. iTunes will ask you whether you want to edit multiple entries. Just go ahead and agree that you do. Navigate (VO-Right arrow) to the "Info" tab and select it (VO-Space) in order to enter the tagging information. VO- Right arrow to the text fields for "Album" and "Artist" and type in the title of the book and the author. You can add any other information you want, such as comments in the comments text box, or the narrator under "Composer". I usually set the "Genre" pop up button to "Books & Spoken" but this can be anything you want to type in, or you can leave it blank. If you want to set these up as audiobooks, by navigating to the "Options" tab and selecting (with VO- Space), you can also set the "Media Kind" pop up to "Audiobook" and navigate to the checkboxes for "Remember Playback Position" and "Skip when Shuffling" and check them with VO-Space. I usually just press return when I'm done and escape to cancel, but you can navigate to the buttons for these functions and press then with VO-Space.

You've now successfully tagged all your audiobook tracks, and if you also edited "Media Kind" on the "Options" tab, you've put these tracks into "Books" instead of "Music." I think that by default the "Books" playlist is no longer displayed in new iTunes 9 setups, nor are "Apps" for iPhone users. To change this you need to bring up iTunes preferences with Command-Comma. I would make two changes from the defaults of iTunes 9 (sorry, don't know the iTunes 10 set up):

1. Under the iTunes preferences menu you brought up with Command- Comma, navigate to the "General" tab and check (VO-Space) the boxes of any playlist you want displayed (like "Books", "Apps", "Ringtones", or "iTunes U").

2. Press Command-W to close your preferences window when done.

Now if you select, "Books" as your playlist under the sources table, you'll find your entries listed by Track, Album, and Artist under the songs table. If you navigate to the search text field (Command-Option- F), and type in the name of the Album or part of the name of the Album, you'll get only the matching entries in the songs table. You can navigate to the songs table, interact, and select all with Command- A. Then if your press Command-Shift-N you'll create a new playlist from your selection. You can enter a name, or accept the default playlist name. The default order should be the order in which tracks were added to your library. If you want to sort on track name (001, 002, etc.) navigate (VO-Right arrow) to the name column and sort with VO-Shift-backslash. (Non-English keyboard users may need to use the commands menu, VO-H twice, to issue a sort, since they don't have the backslash key easily available. Remember to interact before trying to sort -- this is context dependent.) Sorting is a toggle action. The second time you perform a sort, the order is reversed between ascending and descending.

You've now tagged your music and generated a playlist to play your audiobook tracks in order. Incidentally, if you're importing new audiobook tracks from CD, it's much easier to use iTunes to join all tracks, and import 1 track per CD, as long as you're using iTunes or an iPod to play the tracks, since you can bookmark your location. There are also specialized programs for generating Chapterized audiobooks. However, the above method should work for you, and give you insight into the way iTunes works. Finally, you should never delete tracks from iTunes with Finder, since the database won't update, and will simply be erroneous.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther

If you navigate to the music playlist, your track entries should show up with track name (e.g. "001.mp3"), Album (book name) and