 From: Eric Caron
 To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
 Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 6:14 PM
 Subject: Re: Help forcing Mac to recognize a USB device

 Carolyn and others,

 I'm still looking for ideas.  I have the unit attached directly to the
computer USB port not a hub.  I went to disk utilities and was pleased to see
both the internal memory and SD card were in the table.  I selected one of
these and tried to select Mount, but Mount was dimmed.  Next thing I knew the
computer told me the Drive was ejected incorrectly and they disappeared from
the table.

 I tried reconnecting the unit but now it is not recognized in the table.  So
now what?

 When I first hooked up the unit about four days ago it was not reliable but
would stay connected for 10 or 15 minutes.  Now, almost nothing.

 Thanks again for the disk utility tip and if anyone else has ideas I'd be
grateful.
 By the way, I did ask the dealer, Independent Living Aids for help, but
nothing yet.  Maybe they will still come through.

 eric Caron

 LLOn Sep 10, 2010, at 12:06 AM, Carolyn wrote:

 > Hi eric:
 > You can indeed probably do this.  It can be done by going into disk utility.  You'll
want to find that and look for the option to "mount."  (strange name for an
interface) but basically it allows you to connect devices that are going unrecognized.  I
fixed my victor stream quite accidentally with about as much of a clue as that.  Good luck.

 > Carolyn
 >
 > On Sep 9, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Eric Caron wrote:
 >
 >> Dear list,
 >>
 >> I recently purchased a Milestone 312, developed by  BONES INC.  I have a
love hate relationship with this device.  It is a USB device that preforms many
functions including voice recording, general recording, Daisy book reading, clock, FM
radio, agenda, and labeling.  It uses a SD card and internal memory.  My current
problem is that when I plug the USB cable into the Mac it usually does nothing at
all.  A few times when I first attached it it did recognize the SD Card and the
internal memory as two separate volumes.  When recognized I  navigate them in the
finder.  But most of the time either the usb connection is ignored or it is
recognized and then almost immediately I get the message that the device was ejected
incorrectly.

 >> Can anyone help me have the Mac recognize the USB device and not eject it
automatically?  I think the device is treated like a card reader and possibly others
have found ways to force these devices to be recognized when they don't initially
show up.