Hi Christy -- I'm assuming you have an iphone 4 and are experiencing the
well-known proximity sensor issue. If your phone is a 3GS I don't know if the
following information will help. We've had an ongoing discussion about this
issue on the viphone list. For some folks the 4.1 update seems to have resolved
the issue, but for others it has not. For myself, the 4.1 update alone did not
change the issue one bit; however, after doing some further research and
performing 3 additional troubleshooting steps I now only experience the issue
on approximately 1 out of 10 phone calls. Note that these troubleshooting steps
do not work for everyone, and you might be best off exchanging your phone at
the point of purchase to see if that helps. Even then, some folks are still
experiencing the issue even after a hardware exchange.

If you haven't already tried the following troubleshooting steps, I would
suggest trying them in order, one at a time, and making test phone calls after
each step. With step 2 you will want to repeat it at least twice before making
your test phone calls. Be careful with step 3. It will reset many of your
settings, including VO and triple-click home settings and you might need
sighted assistance to get them back as there are reports that the VO checkbox
in itunes does not always work to turn VO back on.

Also, be sure to remove your iphone's case before making your test calls.
Apparently the proximity sensor was moved from the side of the earpiece on the
3GS to the thin strip between the earpiece and the top edge of the phone on the
iphone 4, so improperly designed cases are more likely to interfere with the
sensor.

> Proximity Sensor Troubleshooting step 1. Cycle the power: To cycle the power,
> press and hold the sleep/wake button until VO prompts you to "slide or
> double-tap." Release the buttons and perform the double-tap to shut off the
> phone. Wait 30 seconds and then power on by pressing the sleep/wake button.
>
> Proximity Sensor Troubleshooting step 2. Performed a "hard reset." To perform
> a hard reset, press and hold the home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously
> for 10 seconds. Ignore the VO prompt to "slide or double-tap," just keep
> holding the buttons down and after about 10 seconds the iphone will restart,
> I'm not sure exactly what gets done during this reset, but I think it clears
> RAM and clears some caches. It did not remove any of my settings or data.
> Some folks say you must perform the hard reset twice in order for it to do
> whatever its supposed to be doing.
>
> Proximity Sensor Troubleshooting step 3. Perform a settings reset. Go to
> Settings / General / Reset / Reset All Settings. This reset does not remove
> data, but it does reset a bunch of your settings, including VO and
> triple-click home settings, so if you are going to try this one make sure you
> know how to get VO back.

Good luck,
Bryan