Hello Patricia!

This is usually due to Growl. You can choose to either change Growl to the
"Speech" display style in System Preferences>Growl>Display Tab, then find the
popup for the default style and select "Speech".

If you do not want all those events to speak as it does get quite chatty, you
can go to Adium Preferences (Command-Comma), navigate to the "Events" button in
the toolbar and select the event you would like to add an action to, edit or
remove. You do this by expanding the event within the table. You can then
display the individual actions for the various events present, then hit
"Delete" and replace it with another event such as "Speak event".

You can also just elect to turn off notifications for Adium in Growl, though
you may want to get rid of the Growl events in this case if you do not change
the display style. DO this by going into System Preferences>Growl>Applications
tab, then find the table. Uncheck the box next to Adium. You can also Stop
Growl from the General tab and uncheck the box so it does not start at login.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Regards,
Nic