It's true.

I think the Cisco take over of Linksys adversely impacted the quality of the
products.  Cisco tends to offer products that don't offer wire rate speeds and
end up having some forwarding rate that's a fraction of the available
bandwidth.  Cheap processors and bad code.  The devices, especially older
vintage do well with 3rd party firmware that allows you to undo a lot of their
limitations.  For example, using a wrt54G and tomato or dd-wrt firmware you can
boost the radio output greatly, increase the clock rate, impliment working QOS,
and in general undoa lot of the problems you run in to with a stock unit.
D-Link had one code rev with capcha enabled and that negatively impacted the
perception of their gear in our circles.  To bad too because I and a few others
as well as sited folks for other reasons pointed out this was a bad idea and in
all future releases this feature is disabled by default so not a show stopper.
Seems to happen to all companies though, their quality changes over their
histories.  Everything I can think of this has done this whether it's Dell or
the old Gateway, they start out great and slowly decline.  One reason I like
apple, they work so hard to keep the quality up and the support to back it up
is superior.