Too bad, I thought perhaps I would go and by a D-Link and see a whole
new world through my very slow and firewall blocked hotel's "Internet"
connections.

Not  only do they block IMAP, they also block the chat protocol that
Google  and facebook use.  That's OK, my neighbor has file sharing
turned on, and I can wlook at all kinds of interesting things.    Sure
am glad that I keep my systems secure though...

Jon