Well there was built in speech which was quite controllable.  For some reason I
think it was called Narrator (even though I think its called that on Windows
too?)  You  could move sliders up and down to change pitch and speed etc.  Most
applications could take advantage of it, but I am not sure if there was a
dedicated screen reader as I had sight in those days.  I tended to use the
speech to read out naughty words and laugh (well I was a teenager).

I also had the Curah Speech Synthesizer for the Commodore 64.  This was a
cartridge that plugged into the back and cost £30 at the time.  Very basic, but
in 1984 my friends were totally amazed and thought it was very futuristic like
something out of a science fiction movie.

How things have progressed eh?

Chris