The Solo is just what it says, a stand alone reading device.

"I'm pretty good at drinkin beer."

-----Original Message-----
From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Sarah Alawami
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:44 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: scanner vs eye pal solo

Will the ipal work wiht the mac? or am I geting it confused with something
else. I've seent eh ipal but not the ipal solo.

Take care.
On Oct 27, 2010, at 4:26 PM, Chris Moore wrote:

> Well there was built in speech which was quite controllable.  For some
reason I think it was called Narrator (even though I think its called that
on Windows too?)  You  could move sliders up and down to change pitch and
speed etc.  Most applications could take advantage of it, but I am not sure
if there was a dedicated screen reader as I had sight in those days.  I
tended to use the speech to read out naughty words and laugh (well I was a
teenager).

> I also had the Curah Speech Synthesizer for the Commodore 64.  This was a
cartridge that plugged into the back and cost £30 at the time.  Very basic,
but in 1984 my friends were totally amazed and thought it was very
futuristic like something out of a science fiction movie.

> How things have progressed eh?
>
> Chris
> On 28 Oct 2010, at 00:13, Nektarios Mallas wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> So, was there a screen reader for the ¬commodore or the amiga computers?
>> I had an Amstrad cpc 6128 myself, and I had to do many tricks to get by.
>>
>> Nice discussion.
>> Nektarios.
>>
>> On Oct 28, 2010, at 2:01 AM, Chris Moore wrote:
>>
>>> The Commodore VICE 20 was my first computer, closely followed by the
>>> Commodore 64 (fantastic sound CHIP, lovely synth sounds) then I was
>>> a huge fan of the Amiga for many years also because of its sound and
>>> great games too.  And it was one of the first GUI type computers
>>> that actually multi tasked way before Windows and Mac OS.  The old
>>> Amiga OS so reminds me of Mac OS X
>>>
>>> Chris

kid. I am just 14 years behind you. I have been messing with computers and
electronics since age 10 (my first computer was a put together kit called an
Altairre). my first consumer electronic unit was an apple IIc.