Hi!

For your information, Adium does in fact work with IRC. Just use the events.
It's perfectly usable. Of course, also keep in mind that your criticisms of how
Adium handles IRC may be based on a full-featured IRC client, and Adium is not
that much. It's a chat client built to handle many services quickly and
efficiently, and not to support every single feature of that service. If you
look at it from that perspective, IRC does actually work really well.

As for IRC clients, there are a lot of choice, and some very well-done clients
that work extremely well and have the features you'd want. I contacted the
developer of a client called MacIRSSI to let him know about the accessibility
that already exists within the client, except speech output. While you can pipe
the output to something like eSpeak, not everyone may know how to do that and
if you just wish to get onto IRC, you may not want to use eSpeak anyway.

Regards,
Nic
GoogleTalk: chojiro1...@gmail.com
Facebook