Hello,
I have a macmini3,1 and when first setting it up. I did need  a monitor.
Although, sometimes i do have it off the monitor and it still works for me.
What i'm having issues  with is hooking it up to my  50 inch plazma tv. Call me
crazy or whatever you want but i had it set up with the older mac mini 2007 and
it worked. With the recent macmini3,1. Just haven't  been able to. Not sure if
i have the right connection or what.