I was messing around with this a week or so ago and I didn't have too much difficulty with it when I used the key activated speech commands. Obviously I could only do that when VoiceOver wasn't rattling on about which element I was on at the time or when I didn't have music on. For those of you who want to try it, change the key to something that doesn't interfere with navigational commands, because by default it is Escape and that blocked any other function the key had, which was very annoying. When I had it listen out for "Computer" or whichever recognition word and then the command I got a response 2 out of 10 times, which wasn't very productive on a whole. I think speech commands just hasn't been developed properly yet, because it's hard to isolate the command if there's a lot of sound going on. I haven't gotten dictation programs to work either, but I blame that mostly on myself for being to lazy to read out the texts to help it recognize my speech nuances. Overall, I had fun messing with it for a bit, but even though I could say "get my mail" while I was in whichever app I'm still faster with the keyboard or trackpad commands.

-- Ruud