Riccardo,

It is quite common for types of communities to adopt nicknames or phrases for
themselves that might not seem acceptable outside the community.  For example
the black community have adopted the N word, the gay community have adopted
queer or puff in the UK, and over here there are various descriptions used by
the blind community such as blinky (I guess its because some blind people blink
a lot), other words include gozzy, bindy, and total.  I am sure there is a hell
of a lot more out there too.

Chris