Hi Erik,

On the iPhone 4 camera, provided the lighting conditions are good, you'll hear
VoiceOver say "auto focus" as you hold your iPhone at various distances above a
page with printed text.  You can try this with the regular camera app without
taking a picture or trying to line up the camera with the text.  The autofocus
mechanism takes a few seconds to make adjustments.  Now that I know how the
auto focus works, if I've checked lighting with the Light Detector app, I can
turn on even the regular camera app and lift the iPhone to various distances
away from a letter or page with text and wait for VoiceOver to announce "auto
focus".  So, without even trying to hold the iPhone flat or aligned with text,
if I lift the device, say 4 inches above the page and wait, VoiceOver will say
"auto focus".  Then if I lift the iPhone up another distance, say 2 or 3 inches
higher and wait, VoiceOver will again say "auto focus" after a brief pause.  I
can continue to move my hand, holding the iPhone camera, up and down to various
heights above the printed page, and wait for VoiceOver to say "auto focus".
This works, for example, anywhere over a distance of a few inches to about 3
feet or more, provided there is sufficient light.    What probably limits how
close I can get to the paper and still hear "auto focus" is when the iPhone
gets so close to the page that it blocks light from reaching it (e.g., when it
on top of the page with no distance between camera and page, there is also no
light that can travel through the iPhone to illuminate the page).  In the
Prizmo app, the iPhone 4G will first vibrate when I double tap the "Camera"
button to take a picture.  Then, I'll hear "auto focus". At that point I can
say "take picture".  The three buttons along the top of the screen are "Flash,
automatic", an unlabeled button, and "Camera Chooser, backfacing".  The
unlabeled button is the one that toggles on and off the ability to take
pictures with spoken commands.  If your app did not respond when you say "Take
Picture", try double tapping that button.  If the iPhone 4 vibrates immediately
after you double tap that unlabeled button to the left of the "Camera Chooser"
button in the top left corner, you've just turned on the ability to have the
camera take a picture when you say "Take Picture".  Note that if you did not
originally configure the Settings for the Prizmo app to turn on the "Speech
Control" switch for capturing images you will not find an unlabeled button on
this screen; there will simply be two buttons and not three.   As it is, if,
from the main Prizmo screen, you double tapped the "Settings" button in the top
right corner, then flicked right to "General Settings" and double tapped, then
flicked right to the two options under "Capture": 1) "Alignment Grid" (set
switch to "off") and 2) "Speech Control" (set switch to "on"), the third button
will be present, and can give you access to taking the picture on voice
command.  However, as I noted, this feature can be toggled off and on, even
when you have set the "Speech Control" switch to "on" in your settings.  The
way you know that it is toggled on, and speech command will be accepted to take
a picture is that your iPhone 4 will vibrate when you are on the Camera screen.
 If it does not vibrate, and does not respond to your spoken "Take Picture"
instruction, then find the unlabeled button (e.g., touch the top right corner
to find the "Camera Chooser" button then flick left) and double tap.  Your
iPhone 4 should now vibrate and respond to "Take Picture".  Normally, the
button is left active, so you never have to double tap anything else after
you've configured your settings.  However, FYI, this is where the speech
control is located.  And if you don't have "Speech Control" turned on in your
local app "Settings" beforehand, you won't find this button at the top of the
camera screen.  Whether or not you then hear "Auto focus" announced depends on
things like whether there is sufficient light, and whether you have held the
iPhone steady for long enough to get an auto focus (usually just a few seconds
if light conditions are OK, and you aren't holding the iPhone so close to the
page that the iPhone itself is blocking light from getting to the page).
Apologies if this is too much information, but I've found that the first time
people try to use a new app or feature, there are a lot of questions, and there
are also a surprising number of ways to wind up without having the correct
settings and with no way to tell how to recover. (Usually, if they're confused,
they don't do a good job of describing the problem, since they are using the
app for the first time.)

I found it useful to be able to separate all these functions and understand how
the camera worked so I could figure out how to get the best results with the
app.  For example, you can use the Light Detector app not only to check that
there is enough light to try to scan, but also to get a feeling for the optimal
height above the page.  If I play with the light detector app and point it at a
page of text from a letter or in a book, I can move the iPhone to the left or
right across the page, holding it above it at a range of heights, and hear when
the signal from the app is loudest to get a rough sense of how to center the
iPhone camera.  If I pull it up higher above the page, the signal tone will
start to increase, and then beyond a certain point if I keep raising the camera
the tone will drop, presumably because I am now including areas outside of the
light page in my camera field.  I can also tell the difference between the
louder signal tones I get from the light detector when I try moving it around
above an open book page, and the same book closed  (all assuming there is
sufficient background light in the room).

Now, when I practice with the Prizmo app, I raise the iPhone directly to the
height that I want for a full page (e.g., about 9 inches for a letter), and
then wait until I hear the "auto focus" message.  You won't want to start out
doing that.  If I don't have a ruler (Anne suggested breaking off a plastic
ruler at the height you want, such as 9 inches), I use the fact that my
handspan, fully extended, is seven inches.  So if I raise my iPhone above a
page with one hand, and then put the pinky end of my fully extended other hand
on the page, the tip of my thumb will mark a point about 7 inches above the
page.  You will likely have larger hands than I do.

Early on in the days of the viphone list, Cara wrote a post where (with the
iPhone 3GS), she tried taking pictures at various distances using the auto
focus feature, and sending them to a sighted friend, who would say that the
text was in focus and clearly readable.  This was part of a discussion about
why it was difficult to use OCR apps.  It turns out their are a number of other
factors, such as whether the text is aligned with the edges of the picture or
badly skewed, and whether the image blurred if your hand shook while you tried
to take the picture (on of the reason's Prizmo's voice activated "Take Picture"
makes this work better), or whether there was enough light.  Separating all
these steps was helpful to me, though you don't need to do this when practicing
with Prizmo. I also found it useful to understand under what conditions Prizmo
would fail.  For example, if you take a picture of text on a colored
background, or where there is a picture below the words, as used in some
advertising flyer, you may get a message like "Could not extract text.  Please
check that text orientation is not rotated or upside down, and that image is
good enough, then try again."  This happens even when a sighted person tries to
take the same image for OCR, even though they can read the text against the
picture background.  It also seems to happen if you can't autofocus.  On the
iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS, I'd guess that this may happen when the light level is
too low, but the 4G iPod Touch does not have an auto focus feature.  Instead,
it has a fixed focus that is set to a few feet.  Someone on the viphone list
reported getting this "Could not extract text" error message when using Prizmo
with the 4G iPod Touch camera about a week ago.  I suggested that he try the
hack that iPhone 3G users used to get close-up shots in focus, which was to put
two $1 credit card sized plastic magnifiers in front of the lens to force the
fixed focus distance down from 2-3 feet to several inches (e.g., the same
distance range that iPhone users apply).  The other reason for getting the
"Could not extract text" message is taking a picture that is badly out of
focus, badly misaligned, or blurred.  You can try this yourself once you have
mastered taking good pictures.  Simply turning the camera so that the text is
at a 45 degree angle (i.e., badly misaligned) will give this message. Actually,
even deliberately skewing the camera alignment by 5 degrees, which is maybe the
difference between having both bottom corners of the iPhone aligned with bottom
of the page, and having one corner line up with the tip of your finger held
parallel to the bottom of the page, and the other lined with edge of the base
of the same finger (e.g. being off by the width of your finger, or an angle
about a third of the way between the "12" and the "1" on a clock face, is
enough to get the "Could not extract text" message.

Again, sorry if this is way more than you want to know about.  I just find that
it's easier to improve results if I understand how to get better and the
circumstances where problems arise.  This also means that it's easier to start
by picking good cases to work with.  (Most credit card bills and bank
statements tend to have small fonts, so I would start with a simple letter.
Also, knowing that some flyers print their text on colored paper, and that even
sighted users trying to use Prizmo to OCR the text can't make that work helps.)
 If all else fails, you can print out a page of text that you yourself compose,
and ensure that it uses a large type font, and is printed on white paper.  Then
try using Prizmo.  You should be able to tell how high you need to hold the
camera to read the whole message. Sandy also posted examples of text she tried
to OCR from books.  If most of the text comes out, but you start getting tildes
instead of letter characters over part of the page, chances are that the page
was curved there, and you will get better results by trying to hold that part
flat.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther