Hi Justin,

I suspect that when you hear the last second of your imported audiobook tracks
cut off, that may be do to the cross-fade setting in iTunes playback.  Try
bringing up your iTune preferences menu (Command+comma), navigate to Playback
(Command+2, or you can navigate to the Playback button in the titlebar and
press it with VO+Space), then navigate to "Crossfade Songs" and either uncheck
the check box (VO+Space) or navigate to the slider, interact, and adjust the
value way down (maximum is 12 seconds, and it may be set there as a default.)

The other thing you could do is follow ShamelessFanGirl's suggestion, and rip
your audiobook CDs as a single, joined track -- either MP3 or AAC.  When the CD
is inserted in your drive, you want to select all (Command-a) in the songs
table and then choose the "join CD tracks" option in the "Advanced" menu on the
iTunes menu bar before you start importing.  This option will be dimmed if you
have not first selected the tracks, because there will be nothing to join. Jane
has posted detailed instructions on list about ripping audiobooks this way with
iTunes, and if you go to the secondary Mail Archive site for this list at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries%40googlegroups.com/
and type in the search text box "from:Jane join tracks" (without the quotation
marks, but with the colon after the "from" and before "Jane" with no space
around the colon), then press "return", you should get her post.

Alternatively, if you are willing to change the audiobook to AAC format, for
playing on the iPod Touch, you can get either Audiobook Binder (free) or
Audiobook Builder ($5.95) from the Mac App Store, and automate the process of
ripping your audiobook into a single (or a few) files, including adding chapter
markers for navigating within the text.  Audiobook Builder gives you some more
options with metadata and I think the user interface is more robust, but either
one should work.  Both these software applications convert to .m4b file,
though, so if it is important for you to maintain mp3 format (for compatibility
with other devices), you might try joining by tracks.

If you have multiple mp3 audiobook files and want to play them, the easy way is
to create a smart playlist.  If you want to read up more about that, try going
to the Mail Archive site given above, and type in "smart playlists audiobooks"
into the search text field and press return.  Then read the first few linked
posts that come up in the list for an overview of how do to this.  The third or
so link will be a somewhat lengthy post introducing smart playlists and
describing how they work.  There have been a few changes (mostly, added
features) since that post was written, but it covers all the key concepts.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther