Hi Kari,

Well, like you, this has been bugging me but here's what I'm doing at the
moment.

In 3-column layout, you've got your mailbox table on the left, Your messages
table in the middle and a table containing all the messages in a conversation
on the right.

1. find the mailboxes table. I normally do this with vo+command t.

Once you found it, find your mail box as in the SnowLeopard days.

2. press the tab key. This will take you to the messages table and interact
with it for you. Use the up and down arrow keys to find the message you want.
The default is that all conversations are collapsed.

When you find the message you want, press VO+j. This will take you to the text
of the latest message in a conversation. and read it You can use the up and
down arrows to read this message line by line if you wish.

Now, to read the other messages in the conversation,

3. press vo+shift+up arrow to uninteract with the message text, and again to
uninteract with the message content. then use vo+ up and down arrow keys to
move through the messages in the conversation.

When you reach the one you want you can interact with it and read it.

i hope that helps, and I'm sure others will chime in.