1. This is not really new to Lion.
2. There is the unix "reboot" command and there is also another command line
commmand that supports configuring next boot options.

But I believe that the command-R boot is almost like the C boot, except it will
boot off the restore  partition in your hard disk  The Restore partition has a
directory with boot options and a compressed filesystem containing a minimal
set of Lion applications including VoiceOver.

Best regards,

Jonathan