Thanks. I've managed to download some books from Kobo and i'm reading
them with Adobe Digital Editions 1.8 preview.
Just to put it very clearly - you need to interact with the page, then
make sure that quicknav is off, and then you can page back and forward
with left and right. It works pretty well - although more control and
the option for continuous reading is certainly missed. I think it is
worth engaging with Adobe on sorting out these final niggles in what
is a much-improved app for the Mac.

I'd also encourage people to write to apple to request iBooks for the
Mac. The access potential is so huge - and it is really silly that it
should be held up by small technicalities at this point.