I just bought a mid 2011 Mac Mini last week.  I am actually going to write
a blog post describing my adventures with the machine, but to answer your
question, it's actually yes and no.

    Yes, you can run VoiceOver and work with the Mini without a monitor.  This,
I know Apple support people have been claiming, and on the surface, the
assertion is true.

    However, there are some oddities and little issues you must be aware of.
Note that two other people with the same model have indicated the same
findings.  One thing is system preference changes are not saved for some
reason.  Secondly, VoiceOver will not start automatically.  Lastly, there is
some sluggishness from time to time in Finder and Safari.

    If you don't want to use a monitor, there is a solution, though.  When you
order the mini, buy a mini VGA adaptor Apple does sell and is an option when
you purchase from the Apple store.  Secondly, there is a VGA to NTSC converter
that can be bought
http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv.asp

     You simply connect the adaptor to the converter with one of the cables
that comes with the converter.  Once you do this, the Mini runs perfectly with
VoiceOver and absent of a physical monitor.