Tracey,
Let's explain that step by step so you don't get lost.

First off. A disk image is a normal file on your hard drive. If you click it,
os10 will mount it as if it were a normal volume. In other words, just like
when you insert a cd, it gets mounted as an icon on your desktop that you can
open, browse etc, a dmg, once clicked, will mount a new imaginary disk on to
your desktop.

First thing to do is Click the dmg. It doesn't matter where you have the dmg.
inside downloads is the easiest.  if you're new to images then close everything
that pops up till you are in your desktop, and then look around there. You will
find the growl volume on the desktop. Just as you dive into macintosh hd, into
the contents of a cd or an external usb drive, you open the growl volume the
same way. From the desktop, press command down arrow on the growl volume icon.
A new window will open, showing the contents of the image file that growl sits
in.

Once you have the newly mounted volume open, look at the files it contains. You
will hear that the current screen look and feel is set to image browser, and
not to list view or column view. To switch this back to a normal list view that
you can read as normal, just press command and the number 2 and you will hear,
as list view, checked.

Now, explore the contents of the image file. It now looks like any other folder
on the mac. Find the item named growl dot pkg. A pkg file is an installer
bundle. If you click a pkg file, the installer inside it will run.  You can do
that now.

Next, follow the instructions in the installer screens. Don't be distracted by
all the unnecessary repetitive information on these screens. I find these
installers terrible, but they are doable. Follow their instructions until you
get a finish or a close button, and the installer ends.

Now, you are back n the mounted disk image and growl installation is done. Now
you need to perform a few final steps.

As said, you are now back inside the mounted image volume where you found the
growl dot pkg installer. You came here by pressing command plus down from the
desktop, and you close it again by pressing command w. You will land back in
your desktop.

Now, unmount the volume where you installed growl from. Find the growl icon on
the desktop and press command e for eject. If you type command e on a cd icon
on your desktop, the cd disk would pop out of your drive. In the case of
unmounting a dmg volume, nothing pops out but the growl desktop icon,
containing the installer for it, will disappear to clean your desktop.

Now, you have growl installed. But, there will be no menu item to go to, not in
the finder menu bar, not in the apple menu, not even in the vo m m, status
menus. The place to turn on growl, and to tweak its options, is system
preferences. The place where you go for your system stuff, vo m, and then down
to system preferences. One of the last items within system preferences will be
the item for growl. Open it and configure growl. Close the growl panel with
command w as normal. If you want, you can now get rid of the growl dmg disk
image file, because growl is installed and running.

Now that this is clear and done, you should go to the growl website, and read
all of its documentation. It's not very much, and  it will help you understand
and work with growl.

Hth,
Paul.