Thanks.  This was very helpful to me, also.

-----Original Message-----
From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Paul Erkens
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2011 2:58 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Running a Mac with Windows on

Hi Eric,
Don't worry about the version of fusion. You can update any time by going
into the menu bar, vo m, then one vo right arrow to the fusion menu, then vo
down to check for updates. That should give you the latest and lion
compatible version. I'm running it just fine.

Regarding the vmware tools, it will say not installed as long as the tools
are really not installed. It will say update vmware tools as soon as the
tools have ben successfully installed, but once installed there's nothing to
update.

Your next question was how to get into the windows environment. If you are
inside fusion, you can check if windows is currently running by going into
the menu bar, vo m, then right to virtual machines, then down to windows is
off, windows is running, windows is suspended. That's a status item and it
is therefore always dimmed. Below it, in the same menu, you will find
options to change the status. I.e., if windows is now suspended, you will
find resume. If windows is running, you will find restart, shutdown suspend.
If windows is off, you will find startup. Make sure windows is running, to
begin with.

Now, how to get into windows. First off, windows can be full screen, in
which case you only see button button in the entire fusion window, or
windows can be in a small, tiny window inside fusion. If windows is
minimized this way, you will hear connect apple facetime hd camera, connect
hard disk, network, sharing etc. If you encounter these controls in the
fusion window, you know that windows is now in a very small portion of the
screen, inside the fusion window with all its controls.

To toggle these 2 states, minimized or full screen, use command control
enter, and explore the window with voiceover so you familiarize yourself
with the 2 states.

Now make sure windows is minimized. With voiceover, find something that says
progress bar. This item is not really a progress bar, but it is the tiny
window that windows 7 runs in. Now that you set focus to this window, turn
voiceover off, command f5, and enlarge windows from here. Control command
enter. From now on, you're in the windows environment.

Now, be ware that your command key by default is not your alt key, and that
option is not windows logo. Instead, these are swapped. You can restore that
behaviour if you want so ask if you want that. To start narrator as a test,
hit win plus r to  open the windows run dialog, type narrator and press
enter. Narrator is a bad thing to use in windows 7, so install nvda jaws
window eyes whatever, as soon as you can. Remember: win r is command plus r
until you change it.

Hth, and let us know your further questions. From within windows, shut it
down using windows itself. You will return back into fusion, where you can
turn on voiceover some 5 seconds after windows 7 shuts down, and then you
can go ahead as usual.
Paul.
On Sep 4, 2011, at 8:28 PM, Eric Caron wrote:

> Hi Mike and others,
>
>       I just took the plunge and purchased VM Fusion.  I would love some
help from some VM Fusion users.  My first big concern is that I purchased VM
Fusion 3.1 and as I read the documentation it says nothing about Lyon.  Are
people using VM Fusion 3.1 with Lyon and Windows 7?

> I got to a point in the installation where it says VM Tools were not
installed and I should go to the VM machine menu and then VM tools.  first
when I went there it said cancel VM tools so I assumed it was installing and
left it alone.  Nothing changed but when I went back to the menu it now said
update VM tools.  I pressed that and it offered me the chance to install a
install exe file.  I went ahead and pressed it.
>       I really don't know what to do next.  For all I know everything
could be working correctly and I just don't know how to enter the windows
environment.  I did the instal from Bootcamp hoping it would come up
talking.  I have entered my serial number for VM fusion but have not been
asked yet for my windows key.

> I'd love some tips.  I'm in a screen that has vm file Edit VM machine and
such in the apple menu.  on the screen there are buttons that say things
like connect hard drive. and connect sound card.

> Tips on my next step would be greatly appreciated!
>
> On Sep 4, 2011, at 10:10 AM, Mike Arrigo wrote:
>
>> Hi, you would need a windows screen reader, just like  you would running
windows on a pc. It's no more or less crash prone than a pc, it would allow
you to run microsoft products if you needed to.
>> On Sep 4, 2011, at 6:01 AM, Kirsten Edmondson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm still pondering getting a Mac. I understand I could run windows
on the machine using vm fusion? So this would mean I could run ms products,
but would I still need a screen-reader like Jaws? Or would vo work with it?
>>> Personally I find Windows very unstable, is it's quality through
programs like vm fusion or bootcamp good? Is it prone to issues?
>>> Thanks.