Hi May,
On the mac, if you need this often, then abbyy fine reader is a good solution.
Its interface has a combobox where you input where your image is coming from,
so either a scanner or a file, and the next combo box lets you decide what to
convert it to. It is that simple, but it does cost 80 dollars. Otherwise, I
would ask a friend running windows to quickly do it for you, using pdf2txt.
That is quick. On the mac, I don't yet know of a free and easy program to do
just that.
You could email the pdf to someone running either fine reader on the mac, or
pdf2txt etc on windows, and have the readable document mailed back to you.
Hth,
Paul.