I've always wanted to have VoiceOver use English when reading elements on a
webpage such as headings, edit text, lists, but use the appropriate language
for the main content.
This method is somewhat successful. I've been able to get the content of a
Mandarin website to read using the Mandarin voice. I was able to get Alex to
read things such as headings, buttons, and edit text.
But for some reason, VoiceOver wants the Mandarin voice to read the beginning
and end messages of a list.
Very strange.